When 1,500 school children were asked what they thought made a happy family they didn’t list things like money, cars or material things. According to family researchers the answers they gave most was doing things together. In two national studies, joint activities and family outings were associated with fewer problem behaviors in children.
D&C 58:27 says family members should be “anxiously engaged” in the good cause of sharing time together.
The Proclamation on the Family states that each family member is a son or daughter of God, endowed with a divine destiny and purpose. Spending quality time as a family helps us realize our destiny and purpose. Another thing we can do as family when we spent time together is offer encouragement.
On Friday my mom and dad said that I could have a late night. I called one of my friends but she couldn’t come over so I called my other friend. She didn’t answer her phone. Finally, I called another friend and she answered. I asked if she could have a late night and she said she couldn’t because she was having a sleepover at the 2nd friend I called’s house. While I was thinking about how they had left me out Sarah, my sister, called her friend and asked her if she could have a late night. Her friend said yes. I think my Dad could tell how bad I was feeling because he said that after he dropped Sarah off he would take me on a date. We went to a new ice cream place called The Golden Spoon and got some yummy ice cream. After that we still had time before we had to pick up Sarah, my sister. We went to the store to get some things for my Mom. I had fun because it was just me and my dad. The whole time he told me how much he loved me and how special I was.
This is a poem I wrote for my dad because I love him too.
He doesn’t stand out in a crowd
Just an average ordinary guy.
But to me he’s a king and stands
Near ten feet high.
He loves and understand me
Whether I’m good or bad.
They’ll help make me the woman I’ll be,
The hours with my dad.
As he is very busy and can’t go on long vacations
He taught me how to oil paint and to love all
Nations.
‘Cause they are people just like us
And we should share our land.
He teaches me about the world
From snow to desert sand.
We sculpt all different shapes
And other people too.
I fell more happiness making them
Than other people do.
He tells me why sun and rain make colors
What makes them curve so high
He explains the reason why
The rainbow’s in the sky.
We go to church on Sunday
At different places and times.
I miss him but there is not a better Bishop Dad
Than mine.
I’ve shed some tears of happiness
Because I am so glad,
That God gave me my dad, Ben Sowards
And not some other dad.
After work when he gets home
And if the time is right
We stay up late telling stories
And laughing with delight.
My dad is the greatest!
He makes me want to try
He can always me laugh
When all I want to do is cry.
The times when I am frustrated
Discouraged or feeling bad,
I know that I can talk it over
With my dad.
He’s given me strength and confidence
As I travel down life’s road
Some of the best memories I will always have
Are the many times good or bad
The hours with my Dad.
Testimony
7 comments:
Loved your poem, I agree both you and your dad are the best!
Thats a great poem. I also gave a talk on this month. Pretty scary stuff.
yep
Wonderful poem. Talks are a little scary. When I give them I always feel like my voice is shaking.
I am so proud of you for giving a sacrement meeting talk. That is very hard, even for your Grandma Karen. The bishop called my last night to ask if I could talk the sunday after Bryces baptism and I didn't realize what day it was and I said, no that I would be in Utah. So I have been trying to call back and say that I will be there cause that is the weekend that you will be here. I felt the spirit of your poem and my heart also feels some pretty special feelings for Your Dad as my sweet son. We are all blessed to have you in our big family. Love you!!
Cindy! You're a poet and you didn't know it! haha. Cherish the moments with your father....they're ten times better than ANY play date. :) Your a sweetie. By the way, I love your new page layout and title of your blog; very catchy!
thanks
Post a Comment